Upon successful completion of this subject, students should:
• be able to understand ESP's history and its role in second language teaching and
• be able to critique key concepts in ESP;
• be able to understand main theories and principles in current ESP practice;
• be able to have an in-depth knowledge of several ESP areas; and
• be able to develop and review ESP curricula.
The subject covers three aspects of English for Specific Purposes in alignment with the
learning outcomes and the assessment tasks including (a) mainstream ESP theories, (b) ESP
areas of focus, and (c) ESP curriculum and practices.