Privacy, Confidentiality, and Security Issues
Loss of data, theft, and penetration of system safeguards are the main ways in which large scale electronic data can be compromised. With the increasing use of digital and electronic information technologies in health care, it is more important than ever to safe guard against these types of safety issues.
Reflect on your reading from this week, and then address the following:
• Describe at least one event where privacy or confidentiality or security of client data was violated.
• How do you know which type of violation occurred (privacy, confidentiality, security)? If a computer-based information system contributed to the violation, explain how.
• Name one information or data security issue that you see as the greatest obstacle to using electronic or computerized information technology in health care.
Support your ideas or those of others with references from the professional nursing literature.
· Course Text: Handbook of Informatics for Nurses and Healthcare Professionals
o Chapter 12, “Information Security and Confidentiality”
This chapter examines the factors that impact information security when using information management systems. It also discusses different types of security mechanisms.
o Chapter 19, “Legislation”
This chapter examines legislation affecting electronic healthcare information systems, including privacy legislation.
o Chapter 20, “Regulatory and Reimbursement Issues”
o Chapter 21, “Accreditation Issues for Information System Design and Use”
In these chapters, the regulation of health information technology is discussed, as well as the role of accreditation in health care.
· Course Text: Lewenson, S. B., & Truglio-Londrigan, M. (2015). Decision-making in nursing: Thoughtful approaches for practice. (2nd ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones and Bartlett Learning.
o Chapter 3, “Right or Wrong: Policy, Legal and Ethical Issues and Decision-Making”
Legal and ethical factors constantly affect clinical nursing practice. This chapter provides a detailed case study that describes how legal and ethical dynamics impact nursing.