An 84-year-old residential aged care male with chronic venous leg ulcers which, it is suspected,
are infected with MRSA again.
Amal has a long history of venous disease and had been previously admitted to the medical
unit for antibiotic therapy for infected leg ulcers, he was growing Methicillin Resistant Staph
Aureus (MRSA). On taking down his leg dressings today, the nurse noted an odour, his legs
ulcers were visibly deteriorating with pus and large amounts of slough in the base of his ulcers.
His wound margins were inflamed and his skin surrounding the ulcers is red and hot. Amal has
also been losing weight, a total of 6kg in 3 weeks. He has not been feeling like eating much
1. Outline the context and give a brief description of the health issues for the person in this
above scenario. Describe (succinctly and briefly) the underlying pathophysiology and
symptomatology the person may experience (this can be given in points on your poster)
associated with the chronic condition and the presenting issue.
2. Outline the 'KEY' assessment criteria (data) you would include for the person i.e. what
information/ data is necessary in order to develop a plan of care for the person within the
context outlined in the case scenario.
(a) Include in your discussion a brief outline of the relevant diagnostic and ongoing tests
(including biochemistry, haematology, cytology etc.) associated with the chronic disease and
current health problem for collaborative care (this can be in point form on your poster).
(b) Outline briefly the developmental considerations for the person. You will need to review
developmental theory such as Erikson in your Fundamentals text from first year.
3. Nursing management – (should be the focus of the poster).
Identify and explain the nursing management (from a biopsychosocial perspective i.e. physical,
psychological and social perspective) for the person's chronic condition and current health
problem in the case scenario, this includes:
• Identifying and explaining at least three (3) key / priority nursing interventions.
• Any other management approaches and follow through care, including education / selfmanagement
strategies to assist the person managing their ongoing chronic disease
(relates to the point above).
• Any evidence-based approaches to care (look at Joanna Briggs & Cochrane websites). This
approach will be highly regarded. These are available in the library full-text databases.
• The nurse’s role in the provision of collaborative care for optimal outcomes (be succinct
• Outline two (2) potential problems (complications) associated with the chronic condition
and cues (signs and symptoms) the nurse would assess and observe for, to detect a change
in condition and prevent worsening of the person's health status.